Saturday, September 20, 2008

The adventure to Chicago

Well, yesterday I started my journey back to the States for a two week visit. My trip was suppoesd to originally start at 12:50pm yesterday, but the flight from Pucallpa to Lima got changed to 4:55pm instead. I was ok with that because it meant less time to wait around in the Lima airport. So at about 3:30pm I headed to the airport (which is very small and only 2 minutes from my house) to check in. I was planning to just check in and stay that way Rosemary wouldn't have to make two trips to the airport. So Rosemary and I are standing in line waiting to get me checked in and after about 30 minutes of standing there we only moved about two spaces in line. By that time I figured there was only 55 minutes until my flight was supposed to leave, so I really wasn't going to leave and come back. Rosemary got talking to a guy that works for the travel agency we usually use and he told us the flight was running late and wouldn't be leaving Pucallpa until 6:30pm. I was still ok with that because it still gave me plenty of time before my flight was supposed to leave Lima. So this guy was kind enough to check me in so we could go back home and not have to waste more time at the airport.

So he got me all checked in and I came back about 5:30pm to wait for the plane to get to Pucallpa. I finally left Pucallpa at 6:30pm last night and made my way to Lima. I arrived in Lima about 7:30pm and only had to wait about half an hour before going to check in for my flight to Miami. When I checked in for my flight to Miami I noticed that the time was 20 minutes later than what it originally was supposed to be. I was ok with that, but knew that if it was much later I would really be pushing my luck with my connecting flight to Chicago. I went through security and immigration and finally got to my gate at about 9:45pm to wait for boarding at 10:30pm. Well, boarding did not start at 10:30pm like the boarding pass said, in fact it didn't start until about 11:15-11:20pm. Now my flight was supposed to leave at 11:30pm (according to the new time) and they didn't even start boarding until 11:15pm! Yep! You guessed it! My flight was late! We didn't leave Lima until about 12:05am for the 5 1/2 hour flight to Miami. By the time we finally took off, I was wondering how I was ever going to make my connection to Chicago. I figured I would have to try and get on the next flight because there was no way I would be able to make it through immigration, baggage claim, customs, get my luggage checked back in, go back through security and to my gate in the hour and 20 minutes I had before my flight to Chicago was supposed to leave.

Well, God is good and I was able to make it. We were the only flight that had to go through immigration and customs. And once I got through that I was able to get my bag checked back in right away. Security didn't take very long either which was really nice. I was able to get to my gate about 10 minutes before they started boarding. I am so thankful that everything worked out well. No missed flights, no missing baggage and I am here in Chicago safely.

No comments: