Friday, September 5, 2008

New things

I will be flying to the States in 2 weeks! This is exciting and yet a little scary. I think it might be very overwhelming to go from Pucallpa to Chicago. To go from not having driven for almost a year to driving 4 hours, by myself, through boring Wisconsin, at night! To go from ordering clothes online and not really knowing if they will fit to being able to try things on in the store. Seeing new changes that happened while I was gone...it is going to be hard. But, I am so glad that I have the chance to go back for Beth's wedding and to see my other friends and family.

Since I will be attending a wedding while there I realized that I didn't have a dress to wear. So I decided to get one made. It is amazing what the ladies here can do...I bought the fabric, the zipper and printed a picture of the dress and poof! They made a dress for me! Amazing! I went in Tuesday to be measured and give the lady my fabric. I was then able to go in Thursday and try the dress on. And I get to in tomorrow, Saturday, and pick the dress up! Now you might think...wow that must be pretty expensive...but nope! The grand total for fabric, zipper and having the dress made is about 80 soles or $28. Who can pass that up? I think I might need to have a few more dresses made.

I have made another new friend. Her name is Katie and she works with the Baptist mission. It has been nice to have another young FEMALE adult to hang out with. I don't mind hanging out with the guys...but it is so nice to have a girl to hang out with too. She has joined our weekly Tuesday night dinners and even offered to cook for us this next week. I am excited because I get to learn how to make a very yummy Peruvian dish...Aji de Gallina. It is one of my favorites and Katie is going to teach me how to make it. =)

Monday I finally get to start teaching. The Kooistras get here tomorrow and the kids will start on Monday. I am excited and I know the kids are excited too! It will be nice to have my days full again with classes. We have finished three weeks of classes already...the mangoes are starting to grow and soon I will be dodging the falling mangoes once again. It is amazing how this year has flown!

No comments: