Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mini culture shock

Well, the past few days have been busy. I got here Saturday and have spent the past three days doing shopping. I thought I got tired shopping in Pucallpa...it is just as bad if not worse here. Yes, I have a car to get to each store and I don't have to go to as many stores, but still, it has been a marthon. It has been interesting to see how I have changed and adjusted to the Peruvian way of things. For example, yesterday I did all my shopping by myself and I noticed that every time I would go up to the counter to buy my things I would smile and say good morning to the person there. I am so used to doing this because everywhere you go in Pucallpa the people in the stores greet you. Well when I would smile and say good morning, most of the people just kind of looked at me and weren't really sure what to do. It was funny to see how something so simple as a greeting (or the lack there of) can throw you off. I wouldn't say that I have had much culture shock coming back here, but there are definitely little things like the greeting that kind of have me thrown. It makes me realize once again how much I love the culture in Peru and thankful that I get to go back on October 3rd.

Today I head into Chicago and will get to spend some time with some friends there. Tomorrow I am heading up to Wisconsin for my friend's wedding and the Open House at my church. It has been a huge blessing for me to be able to see all my friends and catch up with them. I am also hoping that the Open House at my church will help connect more people to my ministry and SAM. I have made some new prayer cards since being here...they are very simple but do the job. Here is what they look like, for the most part. There was a slight problem when they printed them off so the South America Mission and my email address were cut off. But that is a what a pen is for...to write it on the back!

No comments: