Thursday, February 14, 2008

Unworthy

Wow! God is so amazing and wonderful. He always knows how to encourage me in just the right way. Today in our writing class I asked the kids to write about their hero. Now it took a while for them to get excited about writing about their hero, but they eventually did it. When I read what one of my kids wrote, I almost started to cry. I am going to share with you all what Bethany wrote about her hero.

“Someone I look up to is Miss Leber. One reason why I look up to Miss Leber is that she still loves God and praises him even after the death of her sister. Her sisters had a disease ever since they were born. If my sister, Emily died of a disease I would have been disappointed in God because of the death of Emily.
Another reason why I look up to Miss Leber is that she is patient. I mean if I were older and teaching a girl that was like me when I was young I would have probably yelled a lot at her. Miss Leber is a wonderful lady, and teacher.”


I couldn’t believe that Bethany had chosen to write about me! It still just blows my mind that out of all the people she could write about, she chose to write about me. I feel like I am not worthy of her looking up to me, but then I have to stop and look at it from her view point. God has so greatly blessed me with wonderful kids. If I ever wondered if I was really doing anything for these kids…I have my answer. After I read her paper I went and gave Bethany a hug and thanked her for the wonderful things she said. She then told me that ever since I gave my testimony in chapel, she has looked up to me. I am so glad God has been able to use me and my story to have an impact on the lives of these children. I don’t feel worthy of the honor to teach these wonderful kids. I am so glad that I don’t have to rely on my feelings because if I did, I never would have come here. Even though it is still hard to not have my sister around…I can see the wonderful things that have come from her death.

I have been reminded of Jennie a lot the past few days. With my birthday I was thinking of her and remembering the last birthday I got to celebrate with her. Then at school the kids had to write an obituary for Bible class and so I brought in Jennie’s as an example for them to see how one is written. Then today with Bethany’s writing assignment and with a wonderful package I received from my cousin. I opened up the box and inside there was a monkey just like the one Jennie had. It is such a great reminder of Jennie and all the wonderful times I had with her. All the memories bring tears…but they are good for me. I am so thankful to God and his grace and love that he shows me through others around me!

No comments: