Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Earthquake

Well, early this morning I experienced my first earthquake. It was a 6.1 with the epicenter located 40 miles NNW of Arequipa. It was 4:13am and I was rudely awakend from a strange dream. At first I thought it was part of my dream but then quickly realized it wasn't. Once I was awake I started praying for God to protect me and everyone else. He answered my prayers and everyone was safe without any damage here. I knew before what I should do if there is an earthquake, but when you are awakened in the middle of the night...you don't think very clearly. So instead of getting out of bed and getting to a safe spot...I just layed there and prayed. The earthquake lasted about 15-20 seconds. I know that might not seem long to those of you who have never been in an earthquake...but it seems like a very long time when you are in the middle of it. Once the earthquake was over, I got out of bed and met up with the others in the hall so they would know I was ok. Then I tried to go back to sleep, which was a little difficult since by then I was wide awake! I am very thankful God kept us safe and pray that there won't be anymore. According to my family here, this is the strongest earthquake they have had here in Arequipa since 2001. How fun for me to be here and experience it.

In other news...tomorrow is a nation-wide strike in Peru. I get to leave for school nice and early just so I will be able to get there safely. We are all praying that it is a calm strike and that nothing horrible happens. I have also switched grammar classes as of today. I was doing my grammar with Christy and Marshall but today I got switched to being with another guy, Stephen. He and I are both leaving on July 25th and so they decided to put us together so we could speed up a little bit. It will be more challenging but really good for me too. Well, only 18 more days until I get to see my family!! I am very excited!

No comments: