Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another adventure...

Well, yesterday about 4pm the power went out here. Now if you are in the states, this is usually not too much of a problem...just annoying. Well here it is more than that...the power goes out, the water goes out too. No flushing the toilet, no taking showers, no washing dishes....nothing. I can handle not having power, but it is hard to not have water. After only a few short hours here you start to feel gross because you are sweating and have dirt and grime all over you. And then to learn that you can't take a shower and they aren't sure when they will have the power back on...it is no fun. So last night I got to do things by candle light since it gets really dark here in the jungle. It isn't very easy to read a book by candlelight...it kind of hurts the eyes. But finally it was late enough to go to bed. Thankfully it cooled off enough last night that not having a fan was not a huge deal. I even was able to sleep with the covers on, it got so cool (76 degrees). Getting up this morning and not being able to take a shower was really hard. I totally did not feel awake and I felt really gross from all the dirt and sweat. We weren't sure we would get power back today since the problem was on our property and something we had to fix. But thankfully we have some wonderful guys who took time out of their busy days to come and fix our problem. They were able to get the generator hooked up to the water pump early and I was able to take a shower between my classes. (It was so nice I didn't even mind that it was pretty cold). Finally after working hard they were able to get things fix and we had power again around 1pm today! It is so nice to have power again and along with that to have water. If ever I feel like I really do live in the jungle...it is when the power goes out for at least a day!

1 comment:

Karin R. said...

Ok lady - whatever happened to the old fashioned "SPIT BATH". You know - build a fire outside with real wood. ..put a pot of water (from the lake or stream or something) into the pot. ..warm it up and then use a washcloth to get yourself wet and washed???? ;o)

I'm so glad to hear that you are really enjoying yourself. I'm proud of you!!!

Are we going to get to see any pictures of this SPRING BREAK you keep talking about :O)

Miss you very much - take care.

Karin