Saturday, April 19, 2008

Work Day

Well, today was work day here at SAM Academy. Every year we set aside one Saturday morning to have all the students and their families get together and help fix things at the school. This year we had a few different areas that really needed help and everyone did a great job helping out. I was in charge of clearing off one of our resource shelves that was jammed full of books that no one has used in years. I am very glad I was put in charge of this task for two reasons...one, I was able to finally see some of the books we have as resources for when I teach next year and two, because I was not afraid to throw away books. Now normally I would hate to throw away books, but most of these books were at least 40 years old and had not been touched in almost as long. So I threw away a lot of books and now our resource shelf, while much emptier, is a lot more organized and contains books teacher will actually use. Another project today was to repair chairs and desks. Most of the guys were in that group and did a great job getting almost all the broken chairs and desks repaired and reorganizing our storage room. A group of girls worked in the library and did a great job getting new books into the system and on the shelves. The library looks a lot more organized now that the big pile of books is out of the corner. And the last project was taking a look at our electricity and the bathrooms. The guys who worked on this found the problem in the bathrooms but were not able to fix it because of how involved it was. But they were able to help with the electricity. They installed a new breaker and rerouted the library AC to it's own breaker so we hopefully won't have as many problems with power surges during the day. I would say in all it was a very productive day and I think everyone had a great time helping out. I love the community of people here and how willing they are to help each other out!

No comments: