Saturday, April 5, 2008

Mud

April 2, 2008
Well, today has been a very interesting day. Classes were good, the kids were pretty attentive and made the day pretty easy. It rained most of the day and that made for a cold day. But at least rainy season is almost over! That is nice…I like the rain but I am ready for it to stop for a while too. Tonight for prayer meeting we had our small groups and so we headed out to Cashibo. Since it rained all day, it made for a very interesting and somewhat exciting trip. Chris was brave enough to drive the lovely monster of a blue truck that we have here at SAM Center. Now when I say monster of a truck…I mean it. But at least the truck has 4 wheel drive, which is a must when you drive on the muddy road out to Cashibo. Going out was not a problem, we hit a few potholes that made it pretty uncomfortable for Emily who was sitting in the back of the truck. We had a great time with our small group out at the Schmidts house. It was really nice to sit and hang out with the adults and to spend time playing with the kids. It made me realize how much I miss playing with the kids at the daycare. There were 7 kids there ranging from 18 months to 12 years old. It was a ton of fun! We finally decided we should probably leave and so Kelly, Chris and I all piled back into the monster and made our way down the muddy road. Now keep in mind, the truck was not in 4 wheel drive yet and so when we pulled up to the first gate, I hopped out to unlock the gate. I got the gate opened and fully expected Chris to drive through…only instead of going forward he slide backwards! So I was standing in the muddy road being eaten alive by mosquitoes and watching the truck slide backwards into a ditch. Not really my idea of fun. Chris realized he forgot to switch the truck over to 4 wheel drive and so he got out and did that. Only he forgot to do it inside too…so the truck didn’t go forward when he tried. By this point I am being attacked by the blood-sucking mosquitoes and wondering if Chris is one of those guys who thinks he doesn’t need help and so he isn’t going to call any of the guys who live a minute down the road to come help. Thankfully I was wrong about that…both Chris and Kelly were trying to call the guys to see if anyone could come help them get unstuck. Around that time Kelly realizes that Chris never activated the 4 wheel drive inside the truck. So they switch that and were able to finally get out of the ditch. By this time two of the guys from SAM AIR had pulled up behind the truck and made sure we made it through the gate. Of course I didn’t know who was behind the truck and so I was waiting for them to come through the gate too before I closed it and put the lock back on. So they had to yell out the window to go ahead and close it. We finally were all back in the truck and made it safely to the highway and finally back home to the SAM Center. It was quite an experience and I am very glad to be home now. I am definitely glad that I don’t have to go through that every day. One more reason I am happy to live here at SAM Center and not out at Cashibo. Well, the only thing left to do now is go scratch the multiple mosquito bites I got tonight.

No comments: