Monday, June 2, 2008

Paperwork in Peru

So today has reconfirmed the fact that I hate doing paperwork in general, but I especially hate it in Peru. Today Chris and I went to take care of my paperwork to get my carnet (Peruvian ID). I was told to be at the CONEP office at 8am to meet the guy who was going to help us with everything. I was also told that I should be able to get everything done in one day. So of course I already bought my ticket to go to Arequipa and left myself only one day to do all this paperwork.

Chris and I arrive at the office a little after 8 and the guy we are supposed to be meeting isn't there. So we call him and he says to meet him there at 10am. Of course that means we have about a two hour wait and we are about 20-25 minutes away from the guest house. So we decided to just hang out around the area and maybe try to find some place to have coffee while we wait. Well, we didn't find a coffee place so we ended up just sitting in a park and talking...in the chilly gray morning.Finally we go back to CONEP and the guy is there. I sign some papers, pay some money and then we take off. He took us to a bank to pay something else and then we had to head to the Interpol office for me to be finger printed and have a dental record taken. After we were done at Interpol the guy with us said we were done and that I would need to come back in week to finish up. I couldn't believe it! I had not planned on having to come back and do more stuff...I was planning on it all being done today. So now I have to figure out when I can come back and finish up everything that I need to do. I have to try and work it out to when there is someone around who can go with me to help translate...so that is my job this afternoon...find a day to come back and find someone to go with me. I am praying that everything will work out smoothly and that it won't take too many days away from language study. I will keep y'all posted on what is happening.

No comments: