Monday, May 19, 2008

The fire

So today was an exciting day at school. I was sitting in class when I heard this really loud cracking noise. I look out the back window of my classroom and I noticed that the property nextdoor to us was on fire. I also saw a person over there setting the fire. I knew they were burning their land to clear it and didn't think too much else about it. A little while later I saw some of the middle schoolers out there with Chris and Rosemary. It looked like they were just trying to wet down the grass and the fence to prevent them from catching fire. I figured they had enough help and kept working. A little while later I look out and the fire is right at the fence and starting to spread. The high schoolers had already joined the water chain and my kids and I went out to help. Thankfully we were able to get the fire out before it burned our fence and did some serious damage. If it wasn't for the awesome kids here and their hard work to put out the fire...the school could have caught fire. Our crazy neighbors thought it would be a good idea to clear their land by burning it...but I guess they either didn't think or didn't care that it would spread to the neighboring property. That's ok, it made for an interesting day and taught the kids how to work together to get the water to the fire the fastest.

No comments: