Friday, May 16, 2008

Kelly's shower

So tonight we had a surprise bridal shower for Kelly before she leaves Peru. I have been planning this shower with Stephanie for about 2 weeks now and it has been really hard to keep it a secret from her. It was finally all planned out that Kelly and I would head over to Chris and David's for dinner at 6pm. While we were over there Stephanie would go to our apartment and set everything up for the shower. Then at 7pm I would come back to the apartment with Kelly and everyone would surprise her. Well, it didn't work quite as planned. Chris was supposed to have dinner ready by 6pm so we could eat and still get back by 7pm for the shower. I had worked everything out with him and even reminded him again before he left at 3pm.

It was a little after 6pm and Kelly and I were getting ready to head out the door to go over to the guys' house, when there is a knock on our door. I open it and David is standing there. He asks us if we have seen Chris at all. I said no, isn't he at home cooking? David said no Chris wasn't home and hadn't been home at all since David got home. At first I thought he was kidding, but then I realized that he wasn't kidding. So I of course am quietly freaking out because Kelly is supposed to be out of the house by now and Stephanie could show up at anytime. Finally we determined that Chris had just gotten back and was about to start cooking. David thankfully suggests that we go out to eat instead. So we all decided to head into town for dinner. I was able to quickly write Stephanie a note telling her that we went to town to eat and would be back late. I was also able to pretend to lock the door so that she could get in when she got there. What I was not planning on was Kelly locking our other door with the new lock that David just installed. With that locked, Stephanie wouldn't be able to get in. So I asked Chris to leave my keys by the door for Stephanie to get in since the door was locked. He ran back and left the keys somewhere by the door for her.

We were walking out towards the gate when one of the students comes running up and asks us if the dorm is locked. He had left something in the bathroom and needed to get it. Now remember I don't have my keys but Kelly doesn't know that. So as she keeps walking I tell him that my keys are by the door, he can get them, get in and get his things and then bring me my keys without locking the outer door. So then of course we had to wait for him to come back with my keys and he took forever because he couldn't find the keys. But they were found, I got them back and the door was unlocked for Stephanie. We got into to town, ate dinner and David was really great at kind of rushing us along without really making it look like we were rushed along.

I rode back in the moto-taxi with Kelly to make sure she didn't get there before me. As we were walking down the drive at SAM Center, I could see the cars of the guests and really hoped she didn't notice and wonder why they were there. Thankfully, she didn't notice and didn't ask. Emily had gotten back before us, but she wasn't around as we walked back. Kelly kind of thought that was weird and was a little suspicious about where Emily had gone. We walk in the dorm and the outer door was open and so I just casually commented about how the student must have forgotten to lock the door. She then goes to unlock our apartment door and it was open. She kind of freaked out. I opened the door all the way and she was totally hiding off to the side of the door. I was trying not to laugh while pulling her in the doorway. Once she realized the people inside were people we knew and that it was a party...she relaxed a bit.

We accomplished a surprise shower and it was a lot of fun. It was small and all the people there were very special to her. They have all had some kind of impact on her life during her time here in Pucallpa. She really had a great time and for someone who doesn't like showers...she said this one was a lot of fun. I am glad that we were able to give her a shower and do this special thing for her before she leaves us.

No comments: