Friday, May 30, 2008

The last day...

Well, today was the last day of school. It was a good day! I only had two kids for most of the day and so we did some fun games, including volleyball with the world. It was a good way to spend the last day with these kids since they won't be back in August. Then at noon we had our graduation ceremony for the eighth-graders. It was a great ceremony and a nice time to say good-bye to some of the people leaving. There were a few tears, which I was told tonight is healthy...for women, and there was a lot of signing of yearbooks. The high-schoolers did a great job on the yearbook. They dedicated it to Kelly since she is leaving after 3 years of working at the school. They also made her this awesome t-shirt that says I love SAM Academy on the front and then lists all the things she did at the school. It is a great shirt and I know she likes it a lot. It was really hard to say good-bye to one of my 5th graders today. Her family is heading back to the states this summer and I most likely won't see them before they leave. She had a hard time saying good-bye to me and I had an equally hard time saying it back to her. That is one of the hardest parts of being a teacher...having to say good-bye to the kids. They are so sweet and become a huge part of your life and then you have to say good-bye. Thankfully, as Christians, good-bye isn't forever...we will see each other again some day. And it is nice to know that I had an impact on these kids during my short time with them.

I am almost done packing up my room...it is crazy to think I am leaving on Sunday. At least I know I will be back in 2 months. It is going to be a difficult time away...but a good time too. I know I will learn a lot and will come back appreciating Pucallpa even more. Some people here might think it strange that I love Pucallpa so much...but I don't think it is strange. I know that it is God's love for Pucallpa filling me. Without God's love for Pucallpa...I would not be here.

No comments: